blackhorsetaverngirard.com

Black Horse Tavern

“An original”

History

Our tavern and grille is located one block west of the “original” Black Horse Tavern that was located on the corner of State St. (Rt 422) and Liberty St. here in Girard.  The tavern was built in the 1830’s .  “Elmedorous Crandon bought two lots at the main intersection of Liberty and State Streets for $60 and built the Black Horse Tavern, which became the first post office.” Courtesy of the Girard Free Public Library-Girard History

“It had been agreed that if a post office were secured three residents, whose places of business were centrally located would serve successively as postmaster. This agreement was kept. The position-it had little remuneration except the knowledge of public service...fell first to E. Crandon, owner of the one public house in the village.  This place, the Black Horse Tavern...”  Courtesy of “History of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley” Joseph Green Butler (Jr.) 1921.

ABOUT US

Brown_texture_logo.jpgElmedorus_Crandon.JPG

Double-click to edit text, or drag to move.

Double-click to edit text, or drag to move.

Double-click to edit text, or drag to move.

Right: Elmedorus Crandon (1803-1886)

Founder of The Black Horse Tavern (circa 1836) Girard's First Postmaster, and Tannery owner. He came from upstate New York in the 1830's with his wife and in laws (Judge Ambrose Mason) to settle in the Girard/Niles area.  Buried in Niles Union Cemetary.