Blackhorse Tavern and Grille
blackhorsetaverngirard.com

 Black Horse Tavern

“An original”

History

Our tavern and grille is located one block west of the “original” Black Horse Tavern that was located on the corner of State St. (Rt 422) and Liberty St. here in Girard.  The tavern was built around 1836.  “Elmedorus Crandon bought two lots at the main intersection of Liberty and State Streets for $60 and built the Black Horse Tavern, which became the first post office.” Courtesy of the Girard Free Public Library-Girard History

“It had been agreed that if a post office were secured three residents, whose places of business were centrally located would serve successively as postmaster. This agreement was kept. The position-it had little remuneration except the knowledge of public service...fell first to E. Crandon, owner of the one public house in the village.  This place, the Black Horse Tavern...”  Courtesy of “History of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley” Joseph Green Butler (Jr.) 1921.

The Emery family welcomes you to the Black Horse Tavern and Grille! Our roots are here in Girard, since the 1930’s.  Our family has enjoyed many great times with many friends, and we hope that you too will share with us a part of your history!     

Good food...Good Drink...Great Friends...Read on for more History!
Black Horse Tavern Scene of Huge Celebration

   This is believed to be the first building in Girard after the city was laid out. It was Elmedorous Crandon’s “Black Horse Tavern” and

served as a stopping place for the stage coaches and a feeding and drinking place for the horses.

   The building was erected at the corner of State and Liberty where the Stein Building now stands. The picture was taken July 4, 1908. Driver of the coach is “Buck” Rayen, occupant is Jess Enyeart and Dr. Barchfeld is on the horse.   In the background is John Jenkins, Dave Evans, Fred Grice, Rees Williams, George Zeller and Hugh McCann, with straw hat near telegraph

pole. ( Girard News, November 3, 1950)

 

 

“The Trumbull Bank” Building 1927

100-104 West Liberty Street

The building at 100 West Liberty Street Girard, Ohio home to the new Black Horse Tavern, has a story of its own.  Trumbull Savings and Loan Company which occupied what is now Windsor House Inc, across the street at 101 West Liberty, opened up a second branch called Trumbull Bank in 1928-29 to satisfy its business customers, and housed 5 apartments/offices in the upstairs.  G J Jones was listed as the president,  J A Howells and W McKain (Youngstown, O) were listed as vice presidents. The phone number was 500.  Original apartment office/ occupants were listed as :David H Thomas, Edward H Thomas, Dr. Owen L Wright,  Harry H Hall, and Harry L Mcbain. The stock market crash of 1929 may have caused its early demise as by 1931 this building became Trumbull Restaurant, owner D.A. Prodnick.  In 1941, The Mislay family opened the Wonder Bar and was kept until 2004, which was then sold to Robert Courtney/Richard Barnes, the most recent Wonder Bar owners.

The restaurant seating side of the Black Horse Tavern housed two businesses back in the 1930’s. Pictured above is the General Electric Appliance store.  This business split 104 West Liberty Street into two with Ohio Edison holding the other half.  Remember you used to go to the office to pay your utility bills?

 

Elmedorus Crandon 

 

“Legendary Businessman and Neck Beard”

Elmedourus Crandon was born on March 4, 1803 in New York State and died on January 23, 1886.* His wife Eliza Mason Crandon, was the daughter of the judge of Essex County ,New York, Judge Ambrose Mason.  In roughly 1835 the Crandon and Mason families left the Lake Champlain area and travelled to Buffalo via the Erie Canal in a canal boat.  From Buffalo they travelled to Ashtabula by steamboat freight, and then headed south towards the Mahoning Valley area by covered wagon and horses. Elmedorus was a lumberman in New York State in his twenties and early thirties. The families settled in the Vienna area at first, before moving to Niles. (*Youngstown Telegram  October 16, 1918).

The Crandon’s had 4 children:

James, (b. March 3, 1833 d. Oct 15, 1918-Niles Union Cemetery) Married to Orinda Susanna Foster Crandon from the namesake Fosterville area of Youngstown aka Idora Park area (Resided at the corner of 1124 Robbins Ave. and  Crandon Street in Niles.  James would develop the Crandon Quarry .

Sarah Jane (b May 1, 1836 d. September 20 1836  Unknown

Edgar (b. August 27, 1840 d. December 14, 1882 Girard Cemetery)

Ira Crandon (b. August 29, 1844 d. June 13, 1911 Girard Cemetery )

Elmedorus and  his wife Eliza are also buried in Niles Union Cemetery.

 

 

Myths and Legends

*It is a fact that in the basement there is a vault and a safe left over from the “banking” days. No money in it… Good Luck moving it

* There is a tunnel leading to the basement of the building…business owners could walk to the bank to deposit there money without fear of being “ambushed” above ground.

*It was written that a man who was to erect a sign and post for the Black Horse Tavern in the late 1830’s bet that he could perform this function after sucking down a dozen eggs and a half pint of whiskey. After accomplishing the first two fetes, he set the post for the sign, and feeling inebriated, stood on the ground where the post fell on him and killed him.

*There is a Sedgwick hand operated elevator (Circa 1927) located in the hallway, where it once was used to transport appliances to the basement until the appliances were sold by the General Electric Company. The weight capacity is 1200 lbs.  DON’T USE IT!

*Elmedorus Crandon owned a tanning company and sold it to Fredrick Krehl in 1857. The Krehl Tannery would burn and be completely destroyed in 1904.

*Before Crandon was the officially “paid” postmaster in 1841, the trains and delivery mail wagon would drop the mail off at The Black Horse Tavern, for general pick up by close to 300 Girard village residents at the time.

*The Emery’s operated The Bond bar and restaurant at 718-20 N. State St. Girard from 1991-97 and moved to Pine Tree Plaza in Mckinley Hts. from 1997-2000.

 

 

 

 

 Black Horse Tavern
“An original”
History 

Our tavern and grille is located one block west of the “original” Black Horse Tavern that was situated on the corner of State St. (Rt 422) and Liberty St. here in Girard. The tavern was built around 1836. “Elmedorus Crandon bought two lots at the main intersection of Liberty and State Streets for $60 and built the Black Horse Tavern, which became the first post office.” Courtesy of the Girard Free Public Library-Girard History
“It had been agreed that if a post office were secured three residents, whose places of business were centrally located would serve successively as postmaster. This agreement was kept. The position-it had little remuneration except the knowledge of public service...fell first to E. Crandon, owner of the one public house in the village. This place, the Black Horse Tavern...” Courtesy of “History of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley” Joseph Green Butler (Jr.) 1921.
The Emery family welcomes you to the Black Horse Tavern and Grille! Our roots are here in Girard, since the 1930’s. Our family has enjoyed many great times with many friends, and we hope that you too will share with us a part of your history!
Good food...Good Drink...Great Friends...Read on for more History!
Black Horse Tavern Scene of Huge Celebration (Pic Above)

This is believed to be the first building in Girard after the city was laid out. It was Elmedorous Crandon’s “Black Horse Tavern” and
served as a stopping place for the stage coaches and a feeding and drinking place for the horses.
The building was erected at the corner of State and Liberty where the Stein Building now stands. The picture was taken July 4, 1908. Driver of the coach is “Buck” Rayen, occupant is Jess Enyeart and Dr. Barchfeld is on the horse. In the background is John Jenkins, Dave Evans, Fred Grice, Rees Williams, George Zeller and Hugh McCann, with straw hat near telegraph
pole. ( Girard News, November 3, 1950)


“The Trumbull Bank” Building 1927
100-104 West Liberty Street


The building at 100 West Liberty Street Girard, Ohio home to the new Black Horse Tavern, has a story of its own. Trumbull Savings and Loan Company which occupied what is now Windsor House Inc, across the street at 101 West Liberty, opened up a second branch called Trumbull Bank in 1928-29 to satisfy its business customers, and housed 5 apartments/offices in the upstairs. G J Jones was listed as the president, J A Howells and W McKain (Youngstown, O) were listed as vice presidents. The phone number was 500. Original apartment office/ occupants were listed as :David H Thomas, Edward H Thomas, Dr. Owen L Wright, Harry H Hall, and Harry L Mcbain. The stock market crash of 1929 may have caused its early demise as by 1931 this building became Trumbull Restaurant, owner D.A. Prodnick. In 1941, The Mislay family opened the Wonder Bar and was kept until 2004, which was then sold to Robert Courtney/Richard Barnes, the most recent Wonder Bar owners.

The bar side of the Black Horse Tavern housed two businesses back in the 1930’s. Pictured above is the General Electric Appliance store. This business split 104 West Liberty Street into two with Ohio Edison holding the other half. Remember you used to go to the office to pay your utility bills?

Elmedorus Crandon

“Legendary Businessman and Neck Beard”
Elmedourus Crandon was born on March 4, 1803 in New York State and died on January 23, 1886.* His wife Eliza Mason Crandon, was the daughter of the judge of Essex County ,New York, Judge Ambrose Mason. In roughly 1835 the Crandon and Mason families left the Lake Champlain area and travelled to Buffalo via the Erie Canal in a canal boat. From Buffalo they travelled to Ashtabula by steamboat freight, and then headed south towards the Mahoning Valley area by covered wagon and horses. Elmedorus was a lumberman in New York State in his twenties and early thirties. The families settled in the Vienna area at first, before moving to Niles. (*Youngstown Telegram October 16, 1918).
The Crandon’s had 7 children:

Jemima (1830-1917)
Sarah Jane Crandon  (b. May 1, 1836 d. Sept 20 1836)

James, (b. March 3, 1833 d. Oct 15, 1918-Niles Union Cemetery) Married to Orinda Susanna Foster Crandon from the namesake Fosterville area of Youngstown aka Idora Park area (Resided at the corner of 1124 Robbins Ave. and Crandon Street in Niles, near the Crandon Quarry.
Edgar (b. August 27, 1840 d. December 14, 1882 Girard Cemetery)
Ira Crandon (b. August 29, 1844 d. June 13, 1911 Girard Cemetery )

Lucy A. (1846-1928)

Phebe (1851-1910) 
Elmedorus and his wife Eliza are also buried in Niles Union Cemetery.


Myths and Legends
*It is a fact that in the basement there is a vault and a safe left over from the “banking” days. No money in it… Good Luck moving it
* There is a tunnel leading to the basement of the building…business owners could walk to the bank to deposit there money without fear of being “ambushed” above ground.
*It was written that a man who was to erect a sign and post for the Black Horse Tavern in the late 1830’s bet that he could perform this function after sucking down a dozen eggs and a half pint of whiskey. After accomplishing the first two fetes, he set the post for the sign, and feeling inebriated, stood on the ground where the post fell on him and killed him.
*There is a Sedgwick hand operated elevator (Circa 1927) located in the hallway, where it once was used to transport appliances to the basement until the appliances were sold by the General Electric Company. The weight capacity is 1200 lbs.  Not for public use.
*Elmedorus Crandon owned a tanning company and sold it to Fredrick Krehl in 1857. The Krehl Tannery would burn and be completely destroyed in 1904.
*Before Crandon was the officially “paid” postmaster in 1841, the trains and delivery mail wagon would drop the mail off at The Black Horse Tavern, for general pick up by close to 300 Girard village residents at the time.
*The Emery’s operated The Bond bar and restaurant at 718-20 N. State St. Girard from 1991-97 and moved to Pine Tree Plaza in Mckinley Hts. from 1997-2000.

**Editors note: Information is still evolving and may not not be completely accurate but I think we are pretty darn close! Sources include: Girard Historical Society, Youngstown Telegraph, Niles Daily Times, Girard News, Girard Free Library,Mckinley Memorial Library, Girard Post Office, Elmedorus Crandon's Great,Great, Great, grand daughter (name witheld for privacy), findagrave.com, old story tellers and legends!

Vertical_Sign.jpgBlack_Horse_Tavern_Pic_Girard_News.jpgElmedorus_Crandon.JPGGeneral_Electric_1930.jpg

Below: General Electric Store at 104

West Liberty St. (Photo Girard Historical

Society-1930's)

Above: Elmedorus Crandon (1803-1886)

Founder of The Black Horse Tavern, Girard's First Postmaster, and Tannery

owner. His father in law Judge Ambrose Mason was the first Niles Postmaster and Girard's first justice of the peace.

Elevator_Inside_the_Black_Horse.jpg

Sedgwick hand operated elevator located inside the building estimated circa 1927. The assumed use was to transport appliances for General Electric Store down to the basement for storage.